Motoring Tabs

Thursday, March 15, 2018

Auto Journals | Slow Wednesday Grind

It was just any other Wednesday as I go down the stairs from the locker room as he mechanic I assited with the pre-dev double checked what I did from yesterday. He torque the wheels on the pre-delivery of the 2018 red Mazda 3 before brought it down the basement.

The day seemed to be fast but it’s also the part when things become slow in-between. It’s challenging to compare it from last year when there was no down time in sight. But this always comes to any job either in the workshop or in any industry there will always going to be those days when everything was slow.


The morning though looks to be optimistic as most of the day I started with another technician who I haven't met on the first placement. His bay was the one that was non-active last time I was at the workshop since he was probably on Holiday.

It’s just another service and for some who has no patience for it this type of job maybe boring for those who are passionate with the car engine. But beside picking up techniques in becoming a successful mechanic I also observe how each of them approach in servicing the vehicle and its something to take note.





The Zen of Servicing a Car

There are like ten mechanics here in Reynella Mazda and it’s interesting to observe how they approach their way of servicing a vehicle. The one I spent most of my placement is not just text book with a dash of Zen which is quick, precise and simple. The other good looking chap on the other hand had the “chill” approach and the guy earlier in the moring is more of a practical straightforward guy.

The gentlman I spend most of my placement taught me how to use a tire measuring gauge to check the thread wear of each tyres. The one in the early morning is more into using the Venire Calliper, which I mostly know is measuring parts of a car engine. But each style works for all the mechanics and hoping to pick up some good habits from these fine gentlemen as the day continues.





The Changing Mood of a Battery

The mechabiuc beside the genetlman I spent most ofmy placement was assigned to the car that had a battery problem and we have the tester plugged in and check for its result as describe in the job card it had all the lights on the dashboard on like a Christmas tree. It was challenging to diagnose what's up with the battery on this car that keeps changing its CCA readings.

The first attempt on testing it with the battery tester is giving us an error. We had to disconnect the connectors including the electronic ones attached to the battery and plugging the tester directly, which gave us the CCA result of 63 that is way below the standard 500 level.





The next attempt we entered the VIN number to the battery tester it gave result of 84, which he immediately informed Andy to get in touch with the customer to decide to get a new battery for replacement as the lifespan of an I-Stop type battery only last for two years, and this one is on its fourth year. In-between the battery concern one tire was brought to a “Vulcanizing Shop” to fix the puncture.

A few tests in starting the engine with the lights, radio and other electronics turned on the car Adam went back and asked me to plug-in the tester which gave the result of CCA 263. But at the end of this test its all up to the customer to decide if they wish to go through in changing the batteries or not and the end result is up to them of course.





Break Pads Re-Education

Towards the end of a very slow day the last jo was to assist the technician I spent most of my time in this palcement checking on a Mazda 3 that had a break problem. Turns out after the Service Advisor inspected and approved this after the customer was contacted. This already was due to replace the rear break pads a similar experience last year when the Service Advisor took over the mechanic I worked with where he took a one-day leave for the day.

By 4 PM there was no car in sight being serviced and it was very slow Wednesday indeed. I’ve never seen the workshop so empty by this time. I was still hoping there’s one to roll around, but to no avail we were already packing the tools as I head out of the shop by 4:20 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment